New York, NY - July 21, 2011 - Scanbuy, Inc. (www.scanbuy.com), the leader in mobile barcode solutions, released its mid-year ScanLife Mobile Barcode Trend Report today that illustrates the continued phenomenal growth in barcode scanning. Focusing on data collected globally from April 1, 2011 through June 30, 2011, this comprehensive report reflects the accelerated adoption of mobile barcode technology, including QR Codes, by code publishers and end-users as well as the various changes that have developed around the use and scanning of these codes.
Scanbuy’s recent trend report clearly demonstrates several changes in scanning activity based on data processed by the ScanLife system. In fact, as shown in the report, the ScanLife system now processes on average more than one scan per second as compared to ten scans per minute a year ago. The report also details information such as overall barcode scanning trends, mobile operating systems scanning share, mobile device share, representative graphics of users and the top countries with the highest scanning utilization. Some of the key stats include:
• Traffic grew over 600% from the same period a year ago
• 2D barcode scanning is currently outpacing the growth of 1D barcodes, a major shift from 2010 which shows how user engagement is growing with marketer interest
• Scans come from over 125 different countries around the world every day
• Over 45,000 2D barcodes were generated from the ScanLife platform in the 2nd quarter, a 300% increase from a year ago
• Over 400,000 unique UPC codes, or products, were scanned by the ScanLife app in a single month
• Retail and wireless industries generated some of the most scanned 2D barcode campaigns, which reflects a strong presence of QR codes used on products, store displays, FSI’s (free standing inserts) and print ads
• Android OS continues to be the platform that generates the most scans; however the share of iOS increased 7% compared to Q1, 2011 while Android and BlackBerry have a 4% and 3% decrease, respectively.
“The ScanLife app is now producing 20,000 app activations every day with user activity rates consistently increasing from what we saw a year ago, and in some countries, like the U.S., almost half of all smartphones have downloaded an app capable of scanning a QR code,” said Mike Wehrs, President and CEO of Scanbuy. “These results show consist growth in consumer adoption, which will continue to increase more rapidly as we see more codes published by brands, resellers, marketers and advertisers.”
The ScanLife Code Management Platform generates interoperable code formats such as QR Codes and Datamatrix codes that can be read by any standard reader giving marketers and publishers access to the most open and advanced barcode solution. In North America alone, an estimated 45 million smartphones now are capable of reading open QR codes. Data for this report was gathered from the ScanLife Reporting Server, which collects anonymous analytics from both the ScanLife mobile application and 3rd-party 2D barcode applications on codes that are being published by ScanLife customers and 3rd-party generators. UPC data was only collected from the ScanLife app. Click here to obtain a complete copy of the report.
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions that use the camera phone as the link between the physical world and the digital world. The ScanLife solution consists of a multi-barcode reader application, interoperable Code Management Platform and a World-class Business Intelligence engine. The technology has been successfully deployed and supported by leading mobile providers and handset manufacturers in the United States, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Chile, Spain, Italy and Denmark. Media companies and marketers use the solution to create and manage measurable 2D barcode campaigns, extending brand engagement onto mobile devices.
Scanbuy has the largest and oldest patent portfolio of any company in the industry, with over 30 patents granted covering the entire solution. The company's investors include Motorola Solutions Ventures, Motorola Mobility Ventures, Hudson Ventures and Masthead Venture Partners.
For more information on Scanbuy, please visit www.scanbuy.com or www.scanlife.com.
Global Results Comms (GRC)
Tel: +44 7850 858 291
Tel: +1 949 608 0276
Distributed on behalf of Global Results Communications by NeonDrum news distribution service (http://www.neondrum.com)